Hello, I’m Ken and I am going to walk you through how to best complete your Stitch profile. Filling out an online profile can be overwhelming, but I am going to show you that it can be even more fun than you may think (not to mention very important if you want to find the right match!).
I’ve written about senior sex, dating, and relationships for the past decade as a columnist and author, and I often look at online profiles for article topics. Many profiles are poorly crafted and unlikely to attract attention.
Here are some tips that will increase your chances of getting Stitched:
Part 1: Tell us about yourself
This space is a golden opportunity to share your uniqueness with other Stitch members. A sentence or two won’t work. And remember, you can go back into your profile and make changes anytime, so feel free to mention a specific concert next weekend or an upcoming holiday idea. Profiles work best when they’re fluid. Someone who skipped over you initially may be attracted to something you just added or changed.
The list of activities included in the “Tell us about yourself” section can be as long as the number you enjoy. Just remember to express your desire to share your favorite activities.
Be creative and inclusive. Need ideas? Here are some examples:
- If you’re a hiker or enjoy long walks, a hike/walk picnic will attract attention.
- You have season tickets to the theater or the opera you’d like to share.
- There’s a film festival, art opening, wine tasting, new restaurant, or dance class you’d like to take with someone.
- Maybe you enjoy going out to restaurants, or perhaps you prefer staying home and cooking a special dinner with someone.
- You’re a romantic at heart, but appreciate a soft buildup getting to know someone.
- You’re an avid reader, writer, or poet, and enjoy spending a rainy afternoon browsing the aisles of a bookstore.
- You love Sunday brunch, but it’s more fun with a companion.
- If you’ve traveled a lot, pick a favorite place and write a short screenplay about sharing that place with another Stitch member. This is a refreshing alternative to typical profiles. Stitch members will enjoy your film if they can easily picture themselves co-starring in it. Sharing your favorite places and things that bring Stitch members into your story by making them a part of it.
Part 2: Tell us who you’re looking for
This is an opportunity to flesh out your future companion requirements. Share the qualities you feel make someone special, and explain why you feel it’s important to meet someone with those qualities. Talk about your skills, and why meeting someone equally skilled matters to you. If you’re looking for a romantic partner, consider sharing what you’ve learned from past relationships, in terms of how those lessons make you a good relationship prospect.
Here are some ideas to get you started:
- You’re an openhearted, trusting person, so explain why you feel those qualities are important in a companion. An example is to mention vulnerability as it relates to companions being willing to admit when they’re wrong, and why you feel that’s an important quality.
- You’re interested in learning about people’s personal growth paths and have done some growth work, so explain how your learned skills make you a good fit for a companion who has expanded their universe.
- You like a companion who’s willing and capable of supporting you in the context of a loving relationship.
- You feel good relationships expand someone’s world, not shrink it, and you seek a companion who understands what this means. Of course, you should be able to explain what this means to you.
- You’re shy and feel most comfortable meeting other shy men or women.
- You’re a type A personality and prefer dating other Type A’s.
Be clear about whom you’re looking for in as specific terms as possible. You can’t appeal to everyone, so focus on appealing to kindred spirits.
Part 3: Show more about yourself with some photos
Even the best-written profile won’t sparkle if the photo at the top isn’t perfect, but perfect doesn’t mean beautiful, flawless, or professionally taken. Every woman who smiles is beautiful, and every smiling man looks handsome. A smile suggests an appealing, joyful person, and everyone wants to date a happy camper.
Stitch can even help you with your photo if you’re having difficulties. You might consider changing your photo once a month to refresh your profile.
Wishing every Stitch member a perfect Stitch!Ken
Questions or comments for Ken? Leave them in the comments section below and he will answer them!